LOVE is a four-legged word.
It’s true. You need them as much as they need you. Adopt a pet and watch your whole world change for the better.
Announcing HSSC Online Adoptions by Appointment!
Ready to bring home your new fuzzy family member? HSSC is now offering Adoptions by Appointment to help you meet your match – online, of course!
Our shelters remain closed in response to local Shelter in Place orders and we continue to take the necessary precautions to keep our staff and community safe. However, our team has come up with protocols to safely facilitate adoptions!
Meet your next fur-baby in four easy steps:
- View our adoptable pets online at our Santa Rosa and Healdsburg shelters: Available Animals.
- Call our Adoptions Team to learn more about a specific animal and find out if they’re a good fit!
– Santa Rosa (707) 542-0882 Tues–Sat 11am–6pm, Sun 11am–5pm
– Healdsburg (707) 431-3386 Mon–Sat 11am–5pm
- Schedule a Meet ‘n Greet! (dogs only)! In general, appointments can be set up within 1–2 days.
– Dogs meet ‘n greets will take place in predetermined outside spaces
– Cats and rabbits: we are unable to accommodate an official “meet ‘n greet” for cats, kittens, and rabbits at this time. Please talk to an adoption counselor about ways to view these animals virtually!
- Adopt! When you’re ready to adopt, all paperwork can be completed online and we’ll will meet you outside ready to safely transfer your pet to you via leash (dogs) or carrier (cats, small companion animals).
We will practice Social Distancing during all interactions. We will continue this program as long as it is safe to do so. An increase in COVID-19 cases in our community may necessitate changes to this program.
How To Adopt
COVID-19 UPDATE: Thank you so much for showing interest in our adoptable animals. Until the Shelter in Place order has been lifted we are closed for adoptions on site and are coordinating adoptions online and by appointment only.
We invite you to fall in love with one of our animals! Our Adoption Counselors can help you find the perfect animal companion.
As you consider a pet adoption, please be aware of the following:
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old and present valid photo ID.
- If you have a dog and want to adopt another, we ask that you leave your resident dog at home for the initial greeting. Once you’ve decided that you’ve met your match we may schedule an introduction between the dogs.
- Animals and people are all unique. We will make every effort to help you find the companion animal who is most appropriate for your lifestyle. If we cannot find the right match, we reserve the right not to complete an adoption.
|Senior Dogs (over 7)||$115||Senior Cats (over 7)||$90|
|Puppy Package (under 6 months) + Puppy Class)||$280||Kitten Package (under 6 mo.)||$160|
|Your Adoption Fee Includes:||A value of $301 – $840|
|Spay/Neuter Surgery (Cats, Dogs, Rabbits)||$33 – $225|
|Health Exam||$28 – $46|
|Vaccinations (FVRCP/Cats; DHLPP/Dogs)||$25 – $50|
|Heartworm Testing (Dogs Only)||$25 – $40|
|Canine Bordatella Vaccine||$10 – $22|
|Canine De-worming (Hookworms & Roundworms)||$20 – $65|
|Microchip||$20 – $50|
|Carrier (Cats Only)||$10 – $15|
|Basic Training and Socialization||$60 – $200|
|Adoption Counseling||$30 – $50|
|Adoption Packets and Adoption Counseling||$15 – $30|
|A LOVING COMPANION FOR LIFE||PRICELESS|
Special discounts & offerings
- 20% off dog or puppy training classes (when you register on the day of your adoption)
- 20% discount for seniors 60+
- Pets for the Elderly program (discount for seniors 60+; may be combined with Silver Whiskers Club discount)
- Silver Whiskers Club (Seniors 60+ adopting Senior Pets age 7+ ($95 for dogs; $75 for cats)
- Adoption fees waived for veterans with military I.D. For more info, please visit: petsforpatriots.org/adopt-a-pet/how-it-works
NOTE: At the Humane Society of Sonoma County, we no longer test healthy, single-housed cats, or kittens under six months of age for FIV/Feline Leukemia. We still test sick cats, those who have clinical signs consistent with infection, at-risk cats, and all group-housed cats. We recommend testing all cats prior to being introduced into multi-cat households, and this test is offered at the time of adoption for $25. However, based on our newer understanding of the variability of disease, we believe that FeLV/FIV testing is best done in collaboration with a cat’s primary care veterinarian where you receive comprehensive care and health recommendations based on the cat’s lifestyle.
Do you or someone you know live or work at a ranch, vineyard, farm, warehouse or barn?
Country cats represent a portion of the feline population that thrive on free-range living rather than bunking down for the night in a typical home. Like any other domesticated animal, they still need warm shelter, food and water.
Our country cats program ensures that these free-spirited felines receive a safe, warm living environment. Their health exams, vaccinations, microchips and spay/neuters are all done. In return, you’ll have a forever pal (or two) who’ll play sensible sentry with you 24/7.
Interested in getting a Country Cat? Please review our adoptable cats to see if we have any cats that are ready for the job!