How To Adopt
Ready to bring home your new fuzzy family member? We invite you to fall in love with an animal at HSSC! Our Adoption Counselors will work with you to find your very best match.
Appointments may be required depending upon:
- Local and CA health regulations
- Number of available animals
- Visitor volume
Locations and Adoption Hours:
12:00pm – 6:00pm Tuesday – Saturday
12:00pm – 5:00pm Sunday
5345 HWY 12 West
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
Closed on Mondays
11:00am – 5:00pm Monday – Saturday
555 Westside Road
Healdsburg, CA 95448
Closed on Sundays
As you consider a pet adoption, please be aware of the following:
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old and present valid photo ID.
- If you have a dog and want to adopt another, we ask that you leave your resident dog at home for the initial greeting. Once you’ve decided that you’ve met your match we may schedule an introduction between the dogs.
- Animals and people are all unique. We will make every effort to help you find the companion animal who is most appropriate for your lifestyle. If we cannot find the right match, we reserve the right not to complete an adoption.
Do you or someone you know live or work at a ranch, vineyard, farm, warehouse or barn?
Country cats represent a portion of the feline population that thrive on free-range living rather than bunking down for the night in a typical home. Like any other domesticated animal, they still need warm shelter, food and water.
Our country cats program ensures that these free-spirited felines receive a safe, warm living environment. Their health exams, vaccinations, microchips and spay/neuters are all done. In return, you’ll have a forever pal (or two) who’ll play sensible sentry with you 24/7.
Interested in getting a Country Cat? Please review our adoptable cats to see if we have any cats that are ready for the job!
|Senior Dogs (over 7)||$115|
|Puppy Package (under 6 months) + Puppy Class)||$350|
|Senior Cats (over 7)||$90|
|Kitten (under 6 mo.)||$180 / $315 for 2
|$25 ea / $40 for 2|
Special discounts & offerings
- 20% off dog or puppy training classes (when you register on the day of your adoption)
- 20% discount for seniors 60+
- Pets for the Elderly program (discount for seniors 60+; may be combined with Silver Whiskers Club discount)
- Silver Whiskers Club (Seniors 60+ adopting Senior Pets age 7+ ($95 for dogs; $75 for cats)
- Adoption fees waived for veterans with military I.D. For more info, please visit: petsforpatriots.org/adopt-a-pet/how-it-works
|Your Adoption Fee Includes:||A value of $301 – $840|
|Spay/Neuter Surgery (Cats, Dogs, Rabbits)||$33 – $225|
|Health Exam||$28 – $46|
|Vaccinations (FVRCP/Cats; DHLPP/Dogs)||$25 – $50|
|Heartworm Testing (Dogs Only)||$25 – $40|
|Canine Bordatella Vaccine||$10 – $22|
|Canine De-worming (Hookworms & Roundworms)||$20 – $65|
|Microchip||$20 – $50|
|Carrier (Cats Only)||$10 – $15|
|Basic Training and Socialization||$60 – $200|
|Adoption Counseling||$30 – $50|
|Adoption Packets and Adoption Counseling||$15 – $30|
|A LOVING COMPANION FOR LIFE||PRICELESS|
NOTE: At the Humane Society of Sonoma County, we no longer test healthy, single-housed cats, or kittens under six months of age for FIV/Feline Leukemia. We still test sick cats, those who have clinical signs consistent with infection, at-risk cats, and all group-housed cats. We recommend testing all cats prior to being introduced into multi-cat households, and this test is offered at the time of adoption for $25. However, based on our newer understanding of the variability of disease, we believe that FeLV/FIV testing is best done in collaboration with a cat’s primary care veterinarian where you receive comprehensive care and health recommendations based on the cat’s lifestyle.