Read To A Dog
Kids of all ages, pre-readers to high school students, have the chance to spend quality time sharing the joy of books, reading and dogs.
Benefits of Reading to a Dog
- Dogs don’t judge, laugh or criticize
- Dogs allow children to proceed at their own pace
- Dogs reduce anxiety and are less intimidating than peers
- Dogs increase interest and motivation in reading
- Dogs help students gain confidence and self esteem
- Dogs provide companionship and friendship while learning something new
- Dogs can help students improve decoding, vocabulary, reading fluency and comprehension skills by making reading relaxing, fun and furry!
Central Santa Rosa Library
211 E Street, Santa Rosa
(707) 545-0831 x 538
Sebastopol Regional Library
7140 Bodega Ave, Sebastopol
At your School
We support elementary students in our local public schools by placing certified pet assisted therapy dog teams in classrooms to cultivate a joy of reading that improves their reading skills.
Educators interested in implementing the Read to a Dog Program in your classroom click here.
*Animal Assisted Activities Dogs and their handlers must complete a (CGC) test in addition to our therapy dog screening which may include additional training and observation in the therapy setting for therapy specific behaviors.